Thursday, October 06, 2005

Harmony Horndogs


For a hot, steamy soap, "Passions" seems pretty sex-negative to me. Ever noticed how the characters who really enjoy sex are the villains? There's Alistair, of course, and definitely Rebecca. Back when Julian was a villain, he wanted sex all the time. Now that's he's changed, he's a lot more chaste.

Sure there are loving sexual encounters, like with Sheridan and Luis or Noah and Fancy. But more often sex is impure. Look at how Theresa uses her sexuality as a weapon. She first used it to lure Ethan into her bed, even though he was committed to Gwen. Then she raped him to get pregnant. Now she's used her sexuality to wed Alistair so that she's in the position to get Ethan and Jane.

Then there's Jessica the prostitute. Of course that's a bad thing, especially considering her age and how she was led into it. But what's with these Johns she's getting? They always pull knives on her! I'm no expert, but I think most of the men who hire callgirls are just regular guys who wouldn't try to hurt anybody. Jessica sure knows how to pick 'em.

For years now I've noticed this duality in "Passions," that it wants to appear young and wild, but that it actually delivers a heavy-handed and moralistic message, and it's one of the things that bugs me about the show the most. Agree? Or think that the show's traditional morality is refreshing? Let me know.

On another track: Anyone give a crap who the woman with the red fingernails is?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really dont care who that woman in the res fingenails is. I think i know who she already anyway. I dont care though.

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Web Site Counter

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.